Dairy-free mac and cheese is a delicious and creamy alternative to traditional mac and cheese, and it’s perfect for those with dietary restrictions or allergies. Here is a simple recipe for dairy-free mac and cheese with roasted garlic:
- 8 ounces of gluten-free elbow pasta
- 1 head garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Cut the top off of the head of garlic, exposing the cloves. Place the garlic on a piece of aluminum foil and drizzle it with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Wrap the garlic in the foil and roast it in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, or until tender and caramelized.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to the package instructions.
- While the pasta is cooking, squeeze the roasted garlic cloves out of their skins and into a blender or food processor. Add the almond milk, nutritional yeast, Dijon mustard, salt, pepper, and paprika to the blender. Blend the ingredients until smooth and creamy.
- When the pasta is done, drain it and return it to the pot. Add the sauce to the pot and toss everything together until the pasta is evenly coated.
- Serve the mac and cheese hot, garnished with chopped fresh herbs or a sprinkle of paprika.