Cheese fondue is a classic dish that is perfect for any occasion, whether it’s a romantic dinner for two or a fun gathering with friends. It’s easy to make and always a hit with cheese lovers. Here’s an easy cheese fondue recipe that you can try at home.
- 1 pound of shredded cheese (such as Swiss, Gruyere, or a combination)
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 cup of white wine
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- Optional: 1 tablespoon of brandy or kirsch
- Optional: A pinch of nutmeg
- Cubed bread, cooked potatoes, raw vegetables, and/or cooked meats for dipping
- Start by mincing the garlic and shredding the cheese. It’s important to shred the cheese finely so it melts easily.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the white wine to a simmer over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and let it cook for a minute or two.
- In a small bowl, mix together the cornstarch and lemon juice to create a slurry. Slowly pour the slurry into the simmering wine, stirring constantly to prevent lumps from forming.
- Slowly add the shredded cheese to the saucepan, a handful at a time, stirring until the cheese is fully melted before adding more. If you’d like to add a little extra flavor, you can stir in a tablespoon of brandy or kirsch at this point.
- Once all of the cheese is melted and fully incorporated, sprinkle in a pinch of nutmeg (if using).
- Pour the cheese mixture into a fondue pot or a large, heat-proof serving dish. Place the pot or dish over a burner or place on the table with a small candle or electric burner to keep it warm.
- Serve the cheese fondue with cubes of bread, cooked potatoes, raw vegetables, and/or cooked meats for dipping. Enjoy!
This cheese fondue recipe is simple and easy to follow, and it’s sure to be a hit with cheese lovers. Feel free to experiment with different types of cheese and add-ins to create your own unique twist on the classic dish.