When it comes to decorating sugar cookies, there are countless options for icings and glazes to choose from. One recipe that is sure to add a touch of fresh, zesty flavor to your cookies is a lemony sugar cookie icing. This sweet and tangy icing is perfect for springtime treats or for adding a burst of flavor to any cookie.
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon milk or cream
- Food coloring (optional)
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the powdered sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, and milk or cream. Stir the ingredients together until they are well combined and the icing is smooth.
- If you’d like to add color to your icing, you can do so by stirring in a few drops of food coloring. Be sure to use a toothpick or skewer to add the food coloring so you can easily control the amount you use.
- Once the icing is mixed, let it sit for a few minutes so the powdered sugar can fully absorb the liquid ingredients.
- Once your cookie is completely cooled, you can use either a piping bag or a spoon to drizzle or spread the icing on top.
- Adjust the quantity of the ingredients based on how thick or thin you want your icing.
- Lemon zest gives a nice aroma to the icing, if you don’t have any, you can just use lemon juice alone.
This lemony sugar cookie icing is a delicious way to add a new twist to your sugar cookies. The tangy, citrusy flavor of the lemon is a perfect complement to the sweet sugar cookie base, and the bright yellow color makes this icing look as good as it tastes. Whether you’re a seasoned pro at cookie decorating or a beginner, this recipe is sure to be a hit with your family and friends.